As we all know pregnancy is a very turbulent period in the lives of all women, and making your skincare during pregnancy would require extra effort. In this article, we will give you pregnancy safe skin care, as well as shed light on the effects that may affect the health of the fetus when used regularly.
Skincare ingredients you should avoid during pregnancy
Since a lot of physiological changes occur during pregnancy, your skin also undergoes many changes resulting from hormonal imbalances, endocrine disorders, and immune deficiency. The pores tend to secrete more sebum during this time, which makes your skin more sensitive and prone to breakage.
Some pregnant women experience pimples, dryness, itching, and even dark spots on their skin, and suffer from stretch marks. This is why you should avoid ingredients that can be harmful to you and your baby.
So you should pay close attention to the ingredients list of products in your skincare routine.
- Retinoid (Retinol); It’s a type of vitamin A derivative that can be found in many beauty and skin care products. Naturally, they’re very effective skin. But they are also very strong and can be harmful to the fetus, so it's best to avoid them during pregnancy.
- Hydroquinone: also a skin-lightening ingredient found in many beauty and skincare products. It's very effective in lightening the skin, but it may also be harmful to the fetus.
- Formaldehyde: a preservative also found in many cosmetic and skin care products. They are used to extend the shelf life of products, but they can also be harmful as they can increase the risk of miscarriage.
- Phthalates is a chemical that can be found in many beauty products. They are used to make products more elastic and soft, but they can also be harmful because they can increase the risk of miscarriage
What are safe skin care products during pregnancy?
Now that we have reviewed some of the common harmful ingredients in beauty products that we should avoid, let's talk about the ingredients that you can use to help take care of your skin in a safe way during pregnancy.
You can find it in homemade recipes or you can find some beauty and skincare products that contain it in their ingredients list or rely on natural ingredients.
Oils for pregnancy safe skin care routine
One of the most important natural products is coconut oil.
- Coconut oil: is a great choice for pregnant women with dry skin. It's one of the best natural moisturizers, as it can help soothe and moisturize the skin, as it's characterized by rapid absorption and the absence of any side effects.
- Shea butter: another good option for pregnant women who are looking for a natural way to moisturize their skin. It's a thick, rich butter that can help nourish and protect the skin, but it can also help when it comes to firming the skin.
- Aloe Vera: the best for women who suffer from irritation or dermatitis. Aloe Vera is a natural anti-inflammatory and can help soften and soothe skin
- Jojoba oil: is one of the best natural ingredients for women who suffer from breakouts or other skin problems. It's a natural anti-inflammatory that can help reduce redness and swelling.
Vitamins C, E, K
- Vitamin C: is a good choice for pregnant women who are looking for an ingredient to help get rid of dark spots. It's a natural skin lightener, and it can also be very beneficial when it comes to preserving collagen. Plus, vitamin C is an antioxidant, that can help protect skin from free radical damage, and you need that whether you're pregnant or not.
- Vitamin E: a natural antioxidant that can help protect skin and keep it hydrated. Both vitamin C and E you can find in our Vitamin C Cleanser.
- Vitamin K is also a great ingredient for women who experience dark spots during pregnancy. It's a natural skin lightener that can help lighten dark spots
Products rich in acids, like Hyaluronic Acid
Hyaluronic acid is a good choice for pregnant women who are looking for a way to hydrate and enhance their skin texture. It's a natural substance that can retain moisture, which makes it suitable for dry or sensitive skin. In addition, hyaluronic acid can help reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles common during pregnancy. If you're looking for glassy skin, this is your secret!
You can find it in our Ultra-hydrate, and Vitamin B3 that enhances the skin barrier and helps minimize pores.
We can limit the most important advice for a pregnancy skin care routine to two basic steps: hydration and protection from the sun. So if you are looking for a product that provides you with protection from the sun with high hydration, try the sun protection skin routine. You can also always add Vitamin C cleanser that's rich in natural antioxidants for bright skin all day long.