Dermatologists and skincare experts talk about our skin's need for daily hydration to protect it from drying out, but girls with oily skin usually think this advice isn't for them!
In fact, the histological structure of the skin tells us that the sebaceous glands secrete some moisturizing oils for the skin that maintain water retention in the skin and strengthen the outer barrier of the skin to protect us from environmental factors.
These glands are very active and secrete too much in women with oily skin, but does this mean that they do not need daily moisturizing? This is the topic of our article today to understand more about the importance of moisturizing for oily skin.
What Is The Difference Between Skin Oils and Moisturizing?
Skin hydration depends mainly on the amount of water retained by the layers of the epidermis, and oils help strengthen the outer barrier of the skin to ensure that the skin does not lose water.
Many girls confuse the skin's need for water and its need for oils, meaning that the presence of large quantities of oils in oily skin does not dispense with moisturizing the skin and providing it with sufficient quantities of water.
Therefore, oily skin needs daily moisturizing like the rest of the skin types, but it is very important to choose the type of moisturizing cream suitable for the type of oily skin, as we will understand shortly.
What Happens If Moisturizing Oily Skin Is Neglected?
Medical research has found that most women with oily skin neglect moisturizing it, relying on the skin's secretion of large amounts of oils.
But when oily skin is neglected and the skin feels dry, it is more stimulated to produce more oils, which causes many problems such as clogged pores, acne, skin glossiness, and the appearance of blackheads.
The Importance of Moisturizing for Oily Skin
After we understand the difference between the skin's need for oils and its need for water, we can understand the importance of moisturizing oily skin, and we mention the following:
- 1- Protecting the outer barrier of the skin: Your skin is exposed daily to harmful factors such as sunlight, smoke, dust, and free radicals, which exposes it to damage to the outer wall or barrier of the skin, and then signs of aging appear faster.
From this, we understand that moisturizing your oily skin daily will help you prevent the appearance of wrinkles, sagging, and fine lines at a young age.
- 2- Protection from dehydration: Skin dryness is one of the most important factors accelerating the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines, so it is very important to choose a moisturizing cream that contains real moisturizers that penetrate into the layers of the skin and bind to water molecules to moisturize the skin deeply, such as hyaluronic acid, aquaxyl, and glycerin.
- 3- Protect the skin from free radicals: Give your skin double protection from the signs of aging by choosing a moisturizing cream rich in antioxidants such as vitamin C, which is known to be a powerful antioxidant.
- 4- Protection from acne: Moisturizing oily skin with the right moisturizer will help regulate the secretion of oil from the sebaceous glands, which reduces the possibility of clogged pores and protects you from acne and blackheads.
It is worth noting that using a moisturizer or serum rich in vitamin B3 helps a lot in regulating the secretions of the sebaceous glands in the skin and strengthening the outer barrier of the skin, so make sure to acquire products rich in vitamin B3 to protect your oily skin.
How to Choose a Moisturizer for Oily Skin?
After we have learned about the importance of moisturizing for oily skin, we will talk about an important part, which is the tips for choosing a moisturizer for oily skin so that you get the benefits mentioned previously without falling into the trap of clogging the pores with the wrong moisturizer.
You must read the active substances in the cream and its chemical properties, as we will explain:
- Stay away from creams with an oily texture to avoid clogging the pores and making the skin feel shiny, so choose products that are labeled Oil-free.
- Choose a cream that has a light, water-based texture so that it absorbs easily into the skin without fear of clogging the pores, and choose a cream with water-based or Dry-Touch technology.
- It is preferable that the cream is non-comedogenic.
- In addition to the fact that it does not stimulate the appearance of acne and is written on it as Non-Acnegenic.
It is best to choose natural products that are free from mineral oils, parabens, aromatic materials, alcohol, silicon, and sulfates to avoid the irritating effect of these chemicals on the sebaceous glands in the skin.
In conclusion, after we knew the importance of moisturizing for oily skin and how to choose the right cream for your skin, we draw your attention to the need to use sunscreen daily to protect your skin from dehydration.